Beat it up like a rampage in this week's game, Brawlhalla. With no official release date yet Brawlhalla is currently in open beta but is definitely a game to keep your eye out for. Developed by Blue Mammoth Games, Brawlhalla draws its inspiration from the popular Nintendo game, Super Smash Bros. Brawlhalla is a multiplayer 2D platformer fighting game, using cartoon-style graphics.
How Do I Play?
Players select from a list of 21 characters called “legends”. Once selected, players select from 11 different maps or “realms.” After that players are launched into the game and begin to slug it out. Unlike most fighting games, in Brawlhalla you do not have a set amount of life points. The way you play is simple: the more damage you take the easier it is to be knocked off and smacked around. Players have the option of either using their fists or grabbing one of two unique weapons for each legend.
Brawlhalla currently has five game modes to choose from including, Time Battle, Stock Battle, Brawlball, Bombketball and Snowbrawl.
1. Time battle: Players have unlimited lives, and try and get as many kills as possible in a certain amount of time
2. Stock battle: Similar to time battle, but instead players have only a certain amount of lives to use
3. Brawlball: Like football except you you’re encouraged to fight each other and use weapons
4. Bombsketball: Like basketball, players use bouncy bombs to try and score above the opposing team's basket.
5. Snowbrawl: Players receive an unlimited amount of snowballs, and try to hit each other to score points. The player with the most points at the end of an amount of time wins.
Unlike most other games, in Brawlhalla you can play with up to four players at once on one computer!
Along with the standard modes, Brawlhalla also offers a ranked mode, where players choose between a one-on-one game or a two-on-two game. The ranking is based on an amount of points that you receive for winning a match. Rankings span from the bottom which is called “Tin” all the way up to the top which is called “Diamond.”
Store and More!
Unfortunately players only have access to 6 of the 21 legends for free, however Brawlhalla does have an in-game store called the “Mallhalla”. At the “Mallhalla” players have access to two types of in-game currency: gold and “mammoth coins”. Gold is used for purchasing legends, whereas mammoth coins are used for alternate costumes as well as alternate weapon skins.
Whether you grind your way to the top of the leaderboards, or you just want to beat down your buddies; Brawlhalla has something for everyone. So definitely check it out, and be sure to check in daily for bonus log-in gold, as well as weekly for a new legend rotation.
Written by A Play On Nerds contributor, Ben Tuchenhagen, based out of Austin, Texas.